9 uncooked lasagna noodles (aprox. 8 ounces)
Non Stick cooking spray
1 pound italian sausage
1 pound ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 and half teaspoon basil
1 and half teaspoon oregano
dash of thyme and rosemary
1 can (28 oz each) Crushed Tomatoes
1 can (14.5 oz each) Diced Tomatoes, undrained
4 tablespoons chopped fresh flat leaf parsley, divided
1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups part skim ricotta cheese
1 cup shredded Romano cheese, divided
2 eggs, beaten
2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh basil
3 cups part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded & divided (3 cups = 12 oz)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions. Drain and rinse with cool water to stop cooking. Meanwhile, spray large saucepan with cooking spray. Heat over medium-high heat until hot; add meats. Cook and stir 5 minutes to crumble meat.
2. Add onion and garlic to pan. Continue cooking 8-10 minutes or until meat is no longer pink and onion is tender. Drain meat mixture well. Add crushed and undrained tomatoes, 1 tablespoon parsley, fennel seeds, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and salt. Add basil, oregano, thyme and rosemary. Bring meat mixture to a boil. Reduce heat; cook uncovered over medium-low heat 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Place ricotta, 3/4 cup of the Romano cheese, eggs, rest of parsley, basil and pepper in medium bowl; blend well. Set aside.
4. To assemble Lasagna: Spray 13x9-inch glass baking dish with cooking spray. Spread 1 cup meat sauce evenly over bottom of dish. Place 3 lasagna noodles over sauce, top with 2 cups meat sauce, half of ricotta cheese mixture and 1 cup mozzarella cheese. Repeat the layers ending with a layer of noodles topped with sauce and the remaining mozzarella and Romano cheese.
5. Spray underside of aluminum foil with cooking spray; cover dish tightly with foil. Bake 45 minutes. Remove foil and bake another 15 minutes or until cheese melts and sauce is bubbling. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
*Even better the next day if you have leftovers :)